KJM Staffing Solutions has a great opportunity for a Human Resources Manager with our large, global law firm client. The successful candidate will have at least 3-years of law office human resources experience (required) and and at least 5-years of combined HR experience with at least 2-years of experience managing staff. Hands-on experience conducting HR investigations is essential and a (PHR) or SCHRM-CP or SCP certification is preferred. This role offers a competitive base salary, bonus, profit sharing and great growth potential.
Under the general supervision of the Texas Office Administrator and the Director of Human Resources, Americas, the HR Manager performs HR related duties at the professional level and may carry out responsibilities in some or all of the following functional areas: employee relations; compensation; management of non-exempt timekeeping and attendance; performance management; employee integration, training & development; process improvement; procedural documentation; employee services and counselling to lower level professional staff. The HR Manager will also provide direct support to the Texas Office Administrator and the Director of Human Resources in matters related to the employee life cycle, which includes the facilitation of on boarding and new hire orientation of employees and contingent workers in the Texas offices, and other projects as assigned. In addition, the HR Manager will supervise and manage the performance of the Legal Administrative Assistants (LAA’s) in the Houston office, and support the Texas Office Administrator in the day-today operations of the Houston office as required.
- Support communication and enforcement of Human Resource policies, procedures, laws, standards and government regulations.
- Support compliance with Federal, State and local employment rules, regulations and laws.
- Provide advice and counsel to management and employees on employee relation matters including but not limited to employee complaints, harassment allegations, and civil rights complaints.
- Support performance management processes, including annual performance reviews for business services employees and attorneys.
- Recommend and support introduction of new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services provided.
- Assist in developing, implementing or facilitating onboarding and integration of attorneys, business services employees and contingent workers, including I-9 verification, development and distribution of first-day agendas for new hires and arranging ID photos, technology training and office tours. This includes responsibility for ensuring the completion of background checks and other required forms, and monitoring projected assignment end dates when appropriate.
- Conduct exit interviews, analyze data, and make recommendations for continuous improvement to HR and line management.
- Supervise day-today activity and performance of Houston LAA’s to ensure the highest quality of service to our lawyers and clients.
- Write performance evaluations for Houston LAA’s taking into consideration input from partners and functional leads. Meet with LAA’s for annual performance review discussions.
- Supervise work hours and breaks, attendance and absence for Houston LAA’s.
- Participate in interviews and collaborate with the Manager of Legal Recruiting as appropriate.
- Attend relevant internal and external meetings, seminars and conferences as needed and approved.
- Under the direction of the HR Director and Texas Office Administrator as well as in partnership with the Benefits team, review and process requests for ergonomic furniture and supplies e.g. computer screens.
- Coordinate HR and other meetings as requested including setting up conference rooms, call-in numbers and video conferences as needed.
- Process incoming mail and handle or redirect it including Department of Labor requests for unemployment insurance, etc.
- Make copies, send faxes & PDFs and file paperwork as needed.
- Participate in various projects and perform other duties as required assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Demonstrated ability to effective apply knowledge of employment law & human resources policies.
- Demonstrated ability to recommend solutions that effectively resolve people and operational problems or issues consistent with firm standards, practices, policies and applicable rules, regulations and laws.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate the resolution of interpersonal conflicts at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated understanding of business process and how to change and improve to achieve greater efficiency and effectiveness.
- Demonstrated ability to research and analyze various questions/issues and develop meaningful analysis and action oriented recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple projects and responsibilities and consistently deliver high quality results in a timely manner
- Outstanding organizational awareness and emotional intelligence.
- Superior ability to communicate clearly and effectively in writing and in person on an individual, small and large group situation.
- Demonstrated ability to remain focused