We are conducting a search for a Staff Accountant for a prominent and well known national law firm for their NY Location. The role will essentially be Remote due to Covid-19 until it is deemed safe to return to the offices.
The Staff Accountant is part of the finance team responsible for the accurate generation of firm financial data. This position maintains and controls the General Ledger accounts and business transactions of the organization that includes analytical work and thorough review of financial records.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform general accounts (Balance Sheet and P&L) analysis monthly in accordance with yearly audit requirements. Including comparisons to forecasted results and trended results.
- Perform and analyze general account reconciliations including bank statements, fixed assets, accruals and prepaid expenses.
- Prepare and post journal entries by maintaining files and records, and reconciling accounts.
- Review general ledger expense coding i.e. for sales/use tax compliance as well as budgeting
- Perform the processing of monthly expense allocations, monthly accruals, amortization of prepaid expenses, fixed assets depreciation and recording of adjusting and reclassification journal entries, if necessary.
- Prepare and analyze the monthly budget/forecast to actual variance reports
- Assist in the preparation of financial reports such as financial statements, budget performance, weekly/ monthly partner packages and bank surveys/covenants.
- Assist in maintaining the Fixed Asset and associated depreciation schedules on the FAS Software System. Provides monthly detail for General Journal entries and insures proper recording of new purchases and disposals.
- Protect organization’s integrity by keeping firm and client information confidential
- Train to act as a backup for other functions within the Accounting Department.
- Ad Hoc analyses/projects as needed.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge of Accounting software (Elite / Sap is a plus.)
- Must be highly skilled in use of Excel Spreadsheets.
- Partnership taxes experience is required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Power Point, especially Excel).
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Be able to demonstrate attention to detail and good-record-keeping.
- Team player and can collaborate with other teams in the organization.
- High level of interpersonal skills with demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, with the ability to clearly communicate issues to all levels of management.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or Finance
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in accounting is required.