KJM Staffing Solutions has a great opportunity for a Business Development Manager - Proposal with professional services or law firm experience. This role will be based at our top ranked global law firm client's New York office and offers a high salary, great benefits and lots of growth potential.
The successful candidate with have at least 3-years of proposal management experience in a professional services environment and a proven record of success. 4-year degree required.
This position reports directly to the firm’s Senior Business Development Manager of the Core Services Team.
The Business Development Manager will be responsible for managing and producing clear and effective customized responses to formal proposals (i.e. RFPs, RFIs), drafting, editing and maintaining targeted pitches and other marketing collateral. This centralized and high-profile role will require frequent collaboration with our other business development team members in the US and internationally, internal and external communications group, and other administrative personnel on a regular basis. As a key member of the core services function, the Business Development Manager is expected to cultivate a strong understanding of the firm’s business operations and strategic objectives. In addition, the Business Development Manager will collaborate with practice support on strategic business development activities including, profile raising, pitching, research, client team coverage and global cross-selling efforts.
- Identify the best response strategies for different types of RFP’s.
- Incorporate strategic pricing and research factors that will positively impact the success of proposal responses.
- Establish “go or no go” strategy to determine the viability of each RFP.
- Collaborating with BD team in advocating best practices, manage formal proposals; track and report success rates;
- Partner with global Business Development team members and business services professionals to manage and coordinate all aspects of strategic pitches and proposals, including project plans, schedules, outlines and deliverables.
- Conduct extensive writing, editing, and proofreading of various topics ranging from simple to complex.
- Draft, update, organize and maintain marketing collateral and experience on the external and internal websites and/or various databases as required.
- Identify and assist in the coordination of profile-raising opportunities, including conferences, external speaking engagements, sponsorships, directory submissions, client alerts and article-placements.
- Partner with various subject matter experts to develop content.
- Organize and attend regular meetings to ensure and support regular and effective communication on issues and opportunities relating to practice and business development, and team management and financial performance.
- Monitor marketing publications and other sources for potential opportunities, and to relay relevant intelligence to partners.
- Execute ad hoc requests to support special projects, practices, initiatives and presentations as needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Exceptional writing and editing skills and first-rate proofreading skills.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to develop and deliver executive-level presentations, and explain complex ideas effectively
- Ability to lead and manage content strategies for the firm’s global/regional intranet.
- Strong interviewing skills.
- Strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize work effectively.
- Ability to identify and implement solutions to business and people issues.
- Exceptional and creative problem-solving skills; superior analytical skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrable ability to diplomatically establish alignment between the expectations and strategies of different stakeholder groups.
- Confident, flexible and resilient team player.
- Able to identify and manage risk effectively.
- Able to adapt style to build relationships across all levels.
- Can work effectively under the pressure of deadlines with little supervision
Education & Experience
- 4 year college degree or equivalent required.
- Relevant graduate degree a plus.
- At least 2-5 years of experience in a legal or professional services environment.
- Broad business development and/or communications experience in a large professional services firm, preferably a global/international firm.
- Significant experience managing pitches and the full range of legal marketing and business development services, including intranet content.
- Experience working in an international firm across time zones.
- Good knowledge of global financial markets, corporate business market, legal market and industry trends.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, InterAction; familiarity with any desktop publishing software would be a plus.