KJM Staffing Solutions has a great opportunity for an experienced Business Development Manager with leadership experience. Our client is a top tier global law firm and this role will be based in the Menlo or San Francisco office and will support the firm's Bay Area Technology industry group. This role offers a high base, excellent benefits and growth opportunities within a prominent law firm.
Global Industry Oversight and Strategic Planning
Client Relationship Management
- Understand the vision for the Technology group and overall business development objectives of Bay Area partners.
- Work closely with respective partners, Industry Leads and Relationship Coordinators to define, develop and deliver the business development strategy to support the vision for the Technology group as well as other practices and initiatives as needed in the Bay area.
- Project manage global industry plan and client business plans including monitoring and reporting progress, identifying and resolving risks.
- Analyze and report on competitive market position by industry e.g. firm’s market share; ‘share of spend’ with key clients, panel position, client segmentation, etc.
- Research, analyze and report on high level global economic, geopolitical and social trends that impact the Technology sector.
- Facilitate regular industry and client team calls with a focus on the identification of hot topics and associated opportunities for the firm, profile raising and client targeting activities and follow-up to ensure agreed upon actions are completed.
- Work with partners and others to drive issues based marketing campaigns targeted and tailored for the industry groups and clients within.
- Drive profile raising activities of the industry group and Bay Area by identifying appropriate industry events conferences (attendance, sponsorship etc.), pro bono and community service initiatives, and ensuring opportunities to raise the profile of the firm are maximized and results are measured and reported.
- Ensure all relevant marketing collateral fully aligns with our industry and firm business development strategy and plans.
- Ensure industry and Bay Area website pages are up-to-date and effectively showcase our full proposition.
- Work with the Industry Leads to monitor progress against the industry plans and report semi-annually to the firm’s Executive Group on progress and result
- Work closely with key Client Relationship Coordinators to facilitate Client Relationship Management (CRM) for a select number of key clients.
- Formalize key client relationship mapping.
- Ensure development, implementation and delivery of global client business development plans.
- Proactively monitor client and industry news and trends for revenue generation opportunities and, help drive work origination opportunities with current and prospective clients.
- Analyze existing client relationships using gap analysis to identify and integrate cross selling opportunities across practice groups and other industries.
- Develop and manage industry specific client feedback program including delivery of feedback to the Industry Leaders on results, trends and follow-up actions.
- Work closely with the key client relationship partners to devise client strategies for each client and synthesizing into brief and workable client plans – which include financial targets, short term and longer term objectives, relationship mapping and actions.
- Proactively drive the implementation of client plans for the industry group’s priority clients
- Organize and facilitate regular client team meetings and ensure agendas are action oriented, focused on the client’s business issues and what the firm can offer, as well as follow-up on action items.
- Develop and maintain an in-depth knowledge of clients’ businesses through research, media monitoring and on-going dialogue with the client teams.
- Brief and maintain regular contacts with secondees at priority clients, as well as debriefing them on their return from secondment.
- Act as an advocate of best practice on how to manage and develop clients, as well as maximizing our chances of success on specific client related opportunities. This will include training and coaching fee earners on best practice.
- Produce concise client progress reports (semi-annually) for review the firm’s Executive Group.
- Attend internal and external client progress review meetings with the Client Relationship Partner.
Opportunity Management and Pitches
- Project manage panel pitches and other strategically important industry and other pitches.
- Support and coach industry client teams on ‘beauty parade’ rehearsals, collaborating with central pitch team on tactics and strategy.
- Provide industry and/or client related input, as needed, on practice-specific pitches across the platform.
- Support and adhere to systems and procedures designed to capture pitch metrics, pitch win/loss ratios, and reasons for success or otherwise across the industry.
- Ensure that post matter feedback debriefs are completed in a timely manner for relevant pitches and relevant lessons learned are shared as appropriate.
- Introduce and manage opportunity pipeline for key clients, driving all BD activity in order to identify, develop and maintain sustainable revenues across practices and geographies.
- Work with relevant practice area BD professionals to ensure all pitches to clients are appropriately tailored to the client’s business and preferences.
- Work with Knowledge Management to capture relevant practice group and industry data.
- Deliver regular industry and other client specific internal financial reporting.
- May assist with industry-specific and/or Bay Area marketing budgets.
- Work with the Marketing Communications team to maximize press coverage and any profile raising opportunities arising from key deals and cases with our priority clients.
- Track and analyze relevant market trends including regular review of relevant league table results / any other competitive data available.
- Ensure priority client matters and achievements are fed into relevant awards and directory processes (legal directories, industry related publications etc).
- May be responsible for direct management of others.
- Minimum of 10 years of frontline work experience in industry specific business development and marketing preferably in an international law firm or professional services environment. Must have recent familiarity with the Bay Area market.
- Must have client relationship management experience in a global context.
- Equivalent of 4 year college degree required.
- Relevant graduate degree a plus.
- Experience with client feedback reviews preferred.
- Past success in managing the delivery of quality commercial thought leadership pieces from sector, practice or geographic perspective.
- Experience with planning and preparing pitches, presentations and other marketing materials required.
- Experience working across variety of office locations, cultures and time zones.